Calculation of total aircraft times
Now that we have entered the first operational record, let's enter the latest:
Add the "latest" Operation record for N001
- Go to Aircraft -> Aircraft Logbook. Click Add Entry.
- Assuming today is Feb 25, 2015, enter a date of 2/25/15 in the Date field.
- Enter N001 in the Aircraft ID field.
- Select Operation from the Category drop-down.
- Leave the "Schedules" drop-down blank.
- In the Times section, enter the Hobbs and tach readings from the date we chose, 2/25/15. For this example, enter 1075.6 in the Engine Tach/Cycles field, and 571.0 in the Hobbs Time field.
- Click "Save Record".
Viewing the latest times on the aircraft
To recap, the system now has everything it needs to calculate the latest aircraft times:
- A "starting point" of times for Jan 1, 2014.
- A set of initial tach/hobbs readings from Jan 4, 2014.
- The latest tach/hobbs readings from Feb 25, 2015.
To calculate aircraft and component total times, the system uses this formula:
Total_time = Starting_total + time_since_starting_total
or, in other words:
Total_time = Starting_total + (latest_reading - reading_at_starting_point)
In our example:
- starting_total is 1290.1 total airframe time as of Jan 1, 2014
- reading_at_starting_point is 484.3 (Hobbs reading on Jan 4, 2014)
- latest_reading is 571.0 (Hobbs reading today, Feb 25, 2015)
The "reading at starting point" is taken from the first flight or maintenance record on or after the starting date. In our example, the starting date is Jan 1, 2014, so the system will look for the first record on or after that date, and it will find the record we entered for Jan 4, 2014.
So, the total current airframe time in our example should be:
1290.1 + (571.0 - 484.3) = 1376.8
To view this:
- Go to Aircraft -> Aircraft/Component Status.
- Expand N001 and you will see a row for the "Total Time - Hobbs Hours" item we created earlier.
- Click the "Hobbs Hours" link in the right-hand column and a status panel for that item will pop up.
- The status panel will display the "previous usage" of 1290.1, the "initial reading" of 484.3, the latest reading of 571.0, and the overall total time of 1376.8.