Advanced Totals and Previous Flight Times
The Advanced Totals / Previous Flight Times screen is used for:
- Predefining and viewing a list of flight time totals you'd like to keep track of
- Entering any "previous time" totals you may have, and viewing grand totals of your previous times plus ZuluLog flight times
When to use this screen
If you don't have any previous time totals to enter, and if you only need to view basic totals such as Dual Received time, PIC time, Rotorcraft time, MEL time, and so on, then you may not need this screen. The Pilot Logbook page has a Total line at the top and this may be sufficient for your needs.
Use the Advanced Totals screen when you:
- Need to track "compound" totals such as "Night Cross-Country PIC time"
- Need to keep track of previous flight times and view grand totals of previous times plus individual flights
Note that you can still view compound totals without this screen, by using the Filter button on the main Pilot Logbook. However, the Advanced Totals screen lets you predefine a list of compound totals you can view with a single click, whereas the Filter button on the Pilot Logbook screen is used for "one-off" totals.
Setting up your totals and entering previous times
Click "Advanced Totals / Previous Flight Times" from the Pilot Logbook menu, and click Define. You can define up to 50 individual totals, and each total can optionally have a "previous total time" associated with it.
For a simple total like "total time in C172", select "Time in Type" from Category (A) and enter C172 in the text box. Leave the other categories blank. If you have previous time in the C172 that's not reflected in your ZuluLog flights, enter it in the Previous Time column.
For a simple total like "total time in N514CG", select "Aircraft ID" from Category (A) and enter N514CG in the text box. Leave the other categories blank. If you have previous time in N514CG that's not reflected in your ZuluLog flights, enter it in the Previous Time column.
If you want to keep track of "total rotorcraft PIC time" , select "Category" from Category (A) and select "Rotorcraft" from the drop-down. Select "Crew Role" from Category (B) and select "PIC" from the drop-down. As always, if you have previous rotorcraft PIC time that's not reflected in your ZuluLog flights, enter it in the Previous Time column.
Note that the column order doesn't matter--you could put "Crew Role="PIC" in Category (A) and "Category"="Rotorcraft" in Category (B) and it would work just as well.
- Click "Save Setup" at the bottom of the screen every few minutes! You don't want to hit "Save Setup" after an hour's worth of entry only to find that your Web session timed out while you were meticulously entering data.
- Note that each line on this screen is independent of every other line. For example, if you enter your previous time in N514CG (a multi-engine airplane) on Line 1, and your overall previous multi-engine time on Line 2, you wouldn't subtract the time in N514CG from Line 2; you'd put in the overall total.
Viewing your totals
This is the easy part. Once you've saved your setup and any previous times, the Advanced Totals / Previous Flight Times will show you your overall totals for each line.
If you're a company administrator, you can view totals for others in your company by selecting their names from the drop-down and clicking "Calculate". Note that you'll see the totals that each user has defined for himself; you won't see your own definitions applied to other users.
Integration of previous total times into the Prev line on the Pilot Logbook screen
If you didn't enter any previous time totals when setting up your advanced totals, you can disregard this section. Also, if you just plan to use the Advanced Totals screen to view your overall (previous plus current) totals and you don't care about the Prev line of the pilot logbook screen, you can disregard this section.
On the other hand, if you want your previous time totals to appear in the Prev line on the Pilot Logbook screen, thou shalt follow these commandments:
- The Advanced Totals screen is the primary place to view the overall totals of your previous times plus individual flights. The Pilot Logbook screen is only a secondary place to view previous flight times.
- Don't expect every previous time you've defined on the Advanced Totals screen to appear on the Prev line. Many previous totals will not appear on the Prev line simply because there's no place to put them. For example, don't expect Example 2 (total time in N514CG) to appear on the Pilot Logbook screen's Prev line, because there's no column labeled "N514CG" on the Pilot Logbook screen to put it in! And just because N514CG is a complex aircraft, don't expect your previous total time in N514CG to appear in the Prev line of the "Complex" column of your pilot logbook. It doesn't work that way. Instead, you'd define a line for your overall complex previous total time, and that's what would display under Complex in the Prev line.
- Compound previous times will not appear in the Prev line. If you've used more than just Category (A) to define a line with a previous total time, that's a good indication that that particular previous time won't appear in the Prev line of the pilot logbook. The reason is the same as above: there would be no place in the Prev line to put it.
- Above all, follow the chart. The handy chart below shows you what to enter in Category (A) of each previous time total, if you want the previous time to appear in a specific cell of the Prev line on the pilot logbook screen.
Note in the chart below that some cells on the Prev line are sourced from more than one advanced total line. For example, the "Total Time" Prev line value comes from up to two lines you've created on the Advanced Totals screen: "Day Flight Time" and "Night Flight Time".
|If you want the pilot logbook's Prev line cell below to contain a value...||then define an advanced total line with this in Category (A).|
|SE||SEL + SES|
|ME||MEL + MES|
|Piston||Engine Type → Piston|
|High Performance||High Performance|
|Airplane||Category → Airplane|
|Rotorcraft||Category → Rotorcraft|
|Glider||Category → Glider|
|LTA||Category → LTA|
|VTOL||Category → VTOL|
|PIC Time (D/N)||Crew Role → PIC|
|SIC Time (D/N)||Crew Role → SIC|
|Day PIC Time||Crew Role → PIC|
|Day SIC Time||Crew Role → SIC|
|Takeoffs (D/N)||Day Takeoffs + Night Takeoffs|
|Full Stop (D/N)||Day Full Stop + Night Full Stop|
|Inst App (D/N)||Day Inst Apps + Night Inst Apps|
|Sim Inst (D/N)||Day Sim Inst + Night Sim Inst|
|Total Time (D/N)||Day Flight Time + Night Flight Time|
|Dual Received||Crew Role → Student|
|As Instructor||Crew Role → Instructor|
|NVG T/O / Ldgs||NVG T/O / Ldgs|
|NVG Hovering||NVG Hovering|
|NVG Area Dep/Arr||NVG Area Dep/Arr|
|NVG Aid/Unaid/Aid||NVG Aid/Unaid/Aid|
|Day Takeoffs||Day Takeoffs|
|Day Full Stop||Day Full Stop|
|Day Inst Apps||Day Inst Apps|
|Day Flight Time||Day Flight Time|
|Day Actual Inst||Day Actual Inst|
|Day Sim Inst||Day Sim Inst|
|Night Takeoffs||Night Takeoffs|
|Night Full Stop||Night Full Stop|
|Night Inst Apps||Night Inst Apps|
|Night Flight Time||Night Flight Time|
|Night Actual Inst||Night Actual Inst|
|Night Sim Inst||Night Sim Inst|
|Sim/FTD||Aircraft/Sim → Aircraft|